For a few years now the farmhouse décor has been such a huge trend thanks to Joanna Gaines and the Fixer Upper show. The good thing about this décor style is that instead of spending a pretty penny, there are many fun and easy DIY projects you can do to complete your farmhouse look .
We recently remodeled the kitchen and it’s composed of a lot of neutral tones. Very Farmhouse based. But I noticed that even though I loved this particular style there was something missing. So I started mixing my farmhouse décor with my Mexican culture.
Which brings us to our DIY/Restoring project.
I love DIY/Restoring projects! They are great stress relievers and allow your creative mind to grow. And I absolutely enjoyed this project, because it added a little more color into my home.
My husband recently found this set of chairs and little coffee table being thrown out at a house he was remodeling.
As you can see, there is a lot of wear and tear on the furniture but it was still in pretty decent conditions. While I observed the furniture I still wasn’t 100 % sure what I wanted to do with them but I knew that I wanted to bring a bright floral element somewhere in this project.
We first removed the seat cushions from the chair and then started sanding down the chairs. Because these chairs where in the attic the varnish on the wood was quite damaged. But I was fine with that because I wanted to paint them any ways. We decided to sand by hand but there are many methods you could use. Visit SFGATE Homeguides for other options on removing varnish from wood.
We first sanded with a 80 grit sanding sheet to get all the varnish off both the chairs and table and then with a 120 medium grit sanding sheet, we were able to smooth them out.
Once that was completed, we dusted the furniture off and spray painted the chairs with 2 coats of white matte finish spray paint.
Since I still wasn’t quite sure what I wanted for the end product, I took a trip to Joann’s for some inspiration and came back with a simple yet vibrant upholstery for the seat cushions that only cost me $5. Woot Woot.
I chose not to remove the top layer of the seat cushions because they were still in good conditions; and I was honestly scared that I was going to mess up when it came time to place the chair back together again! So instead, I just made sure I cleaned them very very well!
As you can see the seat cushion on the right was the first one I did. And on the left, my second attempt at folding and stapling was a lot cleaner. Once these were completed, I drilled them back into the chairs.
With the chairs finished, I switched my focus to the coffee table. The coffee table was a little wobbly so my husband helped me out by readjusting its legs. At first I wanted to paint the coffee table but after looking at it with just the unvarnished finish, I fell in love with it. Now, the only problem was that it had a dark water ring. To remove it, I put rubbing alcohol all along the water ring and the dark spot. I then sanded it down even further using a sander with a 220 grit sanding sheet and I was able to get most of it off. To finish it off, I cleaned the table with a paper towel and cutting board oil.
I LOVE the finished product. And the pops of color. Let me know what you guys think and if you would like to see other DIY/Restoring projects!